Happy last week of distance teaching! We made it through.
When meeting with the kids today on Google Meets the kids asked if we could have a special last meet on Friday to celebrate the last day of school and say goodbye to our peers for the summer.
So we are going to have a special Google Meet on Friday at 11:00am. The students asked if we could have a PJ Day google meet and share their special stuffies and say bye. So please add Friday's Google Meet to your calendars if your child wants to participate.
Thank you all so much for all of your support in this very interesting time. Let me know what I can do to continue to support you.
Wow! We have almost made it to the end of this very interesting school year:) Thank you so much to everyone who has worked so hard with your children at home this whole time.
Next week is our last week. Students have been working on writing a myth about the animal they researched and we are celebrating their myth writing by creating Flipgrid videos of the myths and will watch them together on our google meets next week.
Tasks for next week:
1. Flipgrid #10- create your myth as a video
2. Happy Last week task
3. Math task
4. Google meets Tuesday at 1:00 and Thursday at 4:00
1. Happy summer Art Hub Creations
2. Create your own Mystery Doug video
3. Optional math tasks
There will be an email going out from the school about picking up your childs materials next week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (or maybe it has already been sent out). I have a little gift for the kids that will be in the bags of their materials when you come to pick them up. Please watch your email for the email from the school with regards to the details of your pick up times.
Thank you again for all the support you have given me with teaching from a distance since the middle of March. Please let me know if you need any support this last week completing the final project.
Have a great weekend.
Happy Friday! I hope everyone had a good week so far! I am just loving all of the myth that are coming in they are doing such a good job.
Here is the plan for next week!
1. Myth writing (Main event/ Extended Ending)
2. Flipgrid (Who are the other characters in your myth)
3. Math task
4. Google Meets 1:00 Tuesday (Yoga Fun) 4:00 Thursday (Beach party theme/ story time)
1. Fathers Day Art Hub
2. Rock Cycle interactive game
3. Physical literacy board June 15
4. Literacy Board June 15
5. Math optional tasks
I have responded to all of this weeks Flipgrid videos so far and will mark and return all of the Myth Writing Event #1 and Event #2 by Monday so that they have their feedback before they complete their main event and extended ending paragraphs.
Have a great day and let me know if I can help with anything you are needing support with.
I hope you are having a great weekend and got out to enjoy the nice weather yesterday. I just wanted to send a quick email about this upcoming week. We are almost done! Only 3 weeks left. The writing task from last week will continue as we are working up to creating our own videos using flipgrid to share our myths and have a "myth movie" week the last week of school via Flipgrid.
This week our must do tasks are:
1. Myth writing Event 1 and Event 2 (please watch instructional videos and look at my example)
2. Flipgrid #10- creating your setting for your myth
3. Math task
4. Google Meets Tuesday 1:00 and Thursday 4:00
1. Learn code game
2. Bill nye Earths crust
3. Literacy choice board
4. Numeracy Choice board
5. Physcial literacy board
Monday is a PD day so I will be in meetings throughout the day and not avaliable as much. If you have quesitons about the weeks tasks or your child is needing some support please email me and we can set up a private google meet.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
Wow! We only have 4 weeks left to go. Missing the kids so much as June is one of my favourite time of year with the students because we get to do so much outside learning and they have mastered our school routines and expectations/ have grown so much throughout the year. This year however is much different but we are making the best of it.
If your child needs extra time to create their arcade game and flipgrid video no problem take your time. I know a few students are making theirs very extravigant so take your time. I am looking foward to seeing what they create.
1. Myth writing (introductory paragraph and elaborative detail paragraph)
2. Flipgrid take 9 (who is the main character in your myth)
3. Math task
4. Google meets: Tuesday at 1:00 (topic: synonnyms) and Thursday at 4:00 (topic- where in the world scavenger hunt)
1. Nail and Yarn art (final video)
2. Verbs task
3. Physical literacy board (lots of outside options for this week)
4. Literacy board
5. Numeracy board
I have marked everything handed in to this point for this week your child should have feedback on their Myth Planning, Flipgrid take 8 video and the instructions for their game writing task. If I have not given feedback they have not handed it in yet.
I know lots of students stated that they really enjoyed the arcade games this week. You are all so creative! I loved seeing your creativity with this project.
Please let me know what I can do to support if you are feeling as though you need extra help with anything.
Happy Friday Everyone!
We made it through this very rainy week. I loved all of the hilarious jokes the kids shared on Flipgrid. I do respond to each Flipgrid video so please get your child to check their google emails as the feedback gets sent directly to their email.
Thank you to everyone who has been helping your children navigate this online learning. We accomplished completing our first big multi-step project and the students rocked it! Once your child has submitted their work on their Animal Research Project I will give them their final feedback and I also have been highlighting the rubric for their marks after each submission. Please go over the rubric for the Animal Research with them. I do “return” it to them every time I have given feedback/ marked the assignments. So please make sure you go over the feedback with them. Once I have given them their final feedback they do not need to turn it in again.
Week of May 25-29
Must Do Tasks:
- Myths Planning
- Flipgrid take 8 (this one includes a writing task) **I will post my Flipgrid #8 Sample Video by Monday afternoon at the latest)
- Google Meets
- Tuesday at 1:00- Arcade discussion/ watch Caine’s Arcade part 2 together
- Thursday at 4:00- Myths and Legends- video and brainstorming
Optional Tasks May 25-29
- Nail Art Step #2
- Kindness Rocks (I encourage everyone to try to do this fun challenge)
- Physical Literacy Choice Board May 25
- Literacy Choice Board May 25
- Math optional challenges
I hope everyone is doing well. Please reach out if there is anything you are needing support with. I am happy to set up a private google meet to help/ support.
Hopefully it will clear up and we will have a beautiful weekend!
I hope everyone is doing well and that you are getting out and enjoying the nice weather. I have only had 10 students hand in their fun facts for this week. If your child is done their fun facts for their animal research can you get them to click "turn in" I have gone through and commented/ returned everyones work for their animal research and their flipgrid this morning. I am also still missing 7 students "secret talent" flipgrids. If you get a chance this weekend it would be wonderful if your child could share a cool talent with us.
Please let me know if you are needing extra time/ support for the "must do" tasks I can set up an individual google meet with your child to help them. We will be finishing up this project next week and then starting on some narrative writing the following week.
Must do tasks for next week:
1. Animal research "glossary/ table of contents/ references" (final task in this project)
2. Flipgrid #7
3. Watch video and plan for flipgrid #8
4. Google Meets Tuesday at 1:00 and Thursday at 4:00 (please attend one- Tuesdays topic- myths, Thursdays topic- Mystery Doug/ cardboard arcade planning for flipgrid #8)
5. If you have not read with Ms. Cottrell yet please complete your video and email/ share it with me or set up a time to read to me live on google meets
1. Tinga tales fun challenge
2. Yarn and Nail art project (if you want to participate in this task you will have to gather materials)
3. Literacy board May 19
4. Physical literacy board May 19
5. Numeracy board May 19
Everything for next week will be up on the google classroom on Sunday morning.
I am missing you all very much. I really enjoyed watching all of the students secret talents this week. Please let me know if you need support with anything or if you are finding the tasks to be too much. I am trying really hard to make it managable for those who do not have enough time and give lots of extensions for those who are wanting more.
Hope you all get some outside time this weekend with your families and are all staying safe and healthy.
Now that we have been working in google classroom for a few weeks. I am finding the organization a bit hard for some people to know/ find the “must do” tasks and the “optional” tasks because there is getting to be so much in each section.
I am going to try a new organizing strategy to try and help keep things clear and easy to use as the google classroom gets more material added to it each week. If it helps let me know. If you prefer the other way just let me know and I will do my best to accommodate.
Starting next week May 11-14I have started to organize a “Must Do” and “Optional Task” section at the top of the class work section. When the week is over I will move the tasks to the other categories and put the next weeks “must do” and “optional tasks” in that will become live on the Sunday mornings around 8:00 am.
For May 11-14 Here are the tasks:
*** Your child should be able to see the sections in the google classroom as of now the tasks will be live Sunday am
*** Our google meets linkwill always be in the Must Do section from now on.
Must DO TASKS:
- Animal Research
Week #4 (May 11-14)
****Catch up Week IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED SOMETHING FROM THE PREVIOUS WEEK IN THIS ASSIGNMENT PLEASE WORK ON CATCHING UP.
1. Watch video on Fun Facts
2. Look at Ms. Cottrell's example Google Slide Document
3. Create your fun fact page
4. Turn in your Google Slide Document
***if you are all caught up and bored try the Fun Challenges or literacy choice boards too
- Flipgrid take 6
- Math** Not sure yet what Ms. Fraser has organized
- Google Meets Tuesday at 1:00 or Thursday at 4:00 or both
- 1. Tuesday’s discussion Types of Rocks
- 2. Thursday’s discussion Mystery Doug
- Fun Challenges
- Animal Mask Details (will have the video live by Monday evening for sure)
- Bill Nye Rocks and Minerals
- Literacy Choice Board May 11
- Numeracy Choice Board May 11
- Physical Literacy Choice Board May 11
Have a great Mother's Day weekend! Stay safe and miss you all. Please let me know if you need anything I can support with.
I would really like to try to get as many of the students as we can in a class photo today on our google meet. Can you please try to login at 4:00 today so we can take a picture with as many of our classmates as possible.
Thank you all for working so hard with your children.
I am going to change up the animal research project a little to give some students some more time to catch up next week and the week after as they are short weeks with the long weekend. After we complete the animail research non-fiction writing we will start focusing on fiction writing in a few weeks.
I have given feedback to all of the must-do assignments that have been handed in so far this week.
Please let me know if your child is needing some extra help or support. I can set up a google meet to work with them at a time that works for both of us. Just email me if you are needing some extra support/ help. I am also really enjoying reading with the kids if your child has not signed up for reading with Ms Cottrell yet please sign up for a time on the google doc under "reading with Ms Cottrell" in the literacy section.
Have a great day and see you all (hopefully) at 4:00 today!
Hi Parents and Class,
I hope you all are doing well and staying healthy.
I have gone through and commented on all of the flipgrids and animal research from last week. There are a few students who did not compete the flipgrids or their research paragraphs from last week. Last week the Habitat and Food paragraphs were due, if your child is needing help with it please let me know and I can set up a private google meet.
****Please try to attend the 4:00 google meet on Thursday so we can get a class picture last week we were missing 8 students. Would like to try to get everyone/ almost everyone.
1. Animal research (in Writing section)
Week #3 (May 4-8)
a. Watch Family life/ lifecycles video take notes and write a paragraph
b. Watch enemies/ threats video take notes and write a paragraph
c. Add pages on the google slides to write your paragraphs
d. See my examples on Ms. Cottrell's samples
e. "Turn in" work
2. Flipgrid take #5 (poetry)
3. Google meets 1:00 Tuesday or 4:00 Thursday **** on Thursday at 4 we will try to do another class photo as we were missing 8 students last Thursday
4. Math- Graphing Self Reflection
5. If you have not read to Ms. Cottrell yet please sign up for a time to read or create a reading video by May 21st (in literacy section)
1. Mothers Day art tasks (in Fun Challenges)
2. Draw your animal (in Fun Challenges)
3. Animal Masks Coverings (in Fun Challenges will be posted by end of day Monday)
4. May 4 Literacy choice board
5. May 4 Physical literacy choice board
Have a great day and let me know if you have any questions/ need support with something.
Hi Parents and Class,
One of the things I want you to be working on daily regardless of me assigning it is reading. Ella (my daughter) and I read together before bed every night. In grade 3 we should be starting to focus on fluency of our reading which means to read clearly, with confidence and pause in the correct places. We are also starting to learn to read with expression.
One of the things I am missing very much from the classroom is spending time listening to everyone read.
I have posted anew "Must Do" task in the Literacy section of our Google Classroom that is due any time before May 21.
You have two options for this task:
1. Curl up with a stuffy or blanket and record a video of yourself reading a short story or a page or two from a chapter book before May 21! Once you have completed your recording please click "turn in."
2. Set up a time, before May 21, to do a private google meetswith me and read to me/ hang out/ with our stuffies and blankets! (Please email me to set up some times that may work for your child or they can tell me some times they want when we meet on our scheduled google meets if they choose option 2)
- I can attend to knowledge of capitalization, commas, question marks, exclamation marks and quotation marks
- I can confidently read unfamiliar words in context using various strategies
****I have marked and returned all of the work that was handed in last week
- Students who handed in their Animal Classification Paragraphs have comments and highlighted marks on their rubrics for the first paragraph.
- There were a few students who did not write the paragraph but handed it in- if this happened I just wrote a comment
- I have commented back to every student who submitted their Homonyms and Homophones Flipgrid task from last week.
I have marked and returned everyone's Animal Characteristics paragraphs that have turned them in so far! Way to go everyone they look great! I have also commented back on all of the flipgrids handed in thus far!
If you did not get your child's Characteristics paragraph "returned" to them please check that it is handed in. I shared this video at the start of the week on how to "turn in" work please watch it if you are unsure if they handed their work in and do not have comment back yet.
As per Elyana's request:) This optional task is what we will be working on as one of the fun tasks. Please collect the materials if your child wants to attempt to follow along and make a mask. Next week we will create the skeleton of the mask.
- Card stock paper
- Hot glue gun
- white glue watered down
- old paint brush
- tissue paper cut into small squares (Colours of your animal)
- Some stickers/ feathers/ gems for decoration if wanted.
Hope you are all staying safe and healthy. Missing the kids!
Have a wonderful weekend. I will schedule everything to post on Sunday for those who want to organize for the week. The Flipgrid #4 will be live on Monday to give people the weekend to hand in this weeks if they need extra time.
The "Optional" tasks for this week are done and posted in the Fun Challenges section. They are both outside challenges so hopefully you get a chance to get outside while the weather is nice and try the challenges. If you do them post a picture or little video of your work.
Just a reminder of the Google Meets today at 1:00 and Thursday at 4:00. (Please attend at least one or both) Please have student have a pencil and paper and a rulerwith them today and Thursday during our Google Meet we are going to be doing some surveys and graphing together. We will also go over any questions students have about the tasks this week.
For this weeksWriting task (Animal Research), it is a project that will take us a few weeks. Once students submit their work I am able to comment and then "return" it to them. I will be using the rubric to highlight how they are doing for each paragraph and "return" it to you and we will use the same google slides/ documents each week and add to them. Or at least that is the hope of how this will ideally work.
If your child finishes the task before Friday please get them to submitt it I try to mark and return things as they get handed in each day. Thank you to one the student who has already submitted this weeks writing task I have comments/ used the rubric and "returned" it to them so let me know if you did not get it, it will help me with the rest of the class as we learn this technology together.
These are the curricular connections I am looking for in this project they come directly from the English Language Arts Program of Studies.
Revise and edit
Expand knowledge of language
Attend to grammar and usage
Attend to spelling
Attend to capitalization and punctuation
Retell, paraphrase or explain ideas in oral, print and other media text
Organize ideas and information using a variety of strategies such as clustering and categorizing and sequencing
Draft ideas into short paragraphs with a topic and supporting sentences
Record facts and ideas using a variety of strategies, list titles and authors of sources
Determine if gathered information is sufficient to answer research questions
Use titles, headings and visuals to add interest and highlight important points of presentation
Assess the research process, using pre-established criteria
Have a great day and let me know if there is anything you need from me to help support your childs continued learning.
Hi Parents and Class,
Please watch this short video on how to submit and un-submit work when I share a google slide template with you. This will be very important for the next few weeks as we are goign to continue to work on the same document for a number of weeks.
Must do tasks:
1. In Writing section "Animal Research Project
a. Watch video "Research Project start"
b. Pick an animal and use "Animal research note taking to record information about the characteristics"
c. Watch video "How to write a paragraph"
d. Write a paragraph using your jot notes about the animals Characteristics only "use a topic sentence, minimum 3 supporting details, end with a sum up sentence" Use the resources provided to help.
e. Make the titile page and add a picture (instructions in video)
f. Click "Turn in"
2. Flipgrid Challenge #3 (Homonyms and homophones, will be posted by Monday afternoon)
3. Shape quiz (in math section)
4. Participate in one or both of the Google Meets (1:00 Tuesday, 4:00 Thursday)
1. This weeks literacy board
2. This weeks numeracy board
3. 2 Fun Challenges (1. Bill Nye Diversity video and go explore outside/ how many shapes and patterns can you find outside, 2. Sketching nature looking at textures) Will be posted by Tuesday afternoon
4. Physical literacy board for this week
Hi Parents and Class,
I have uploaded two fun challenges for this week. These are optional and will keep you learning if you are bored or wanting more. One is about exploring famous places in Ukraine using Google Earth. The second is a story and for you to write your “new” daily schedule. Both of these tasks are under the “Fun Challenges” section of Google Classroom.
I have been watching and responding to all of the Flipgrid videos posted so far. It tells me I have emailed my comments to them so please check your child’s CBE email for my Flipgrid feedback and let me know if you are not getting it. (I am still learning how everything works too.) I love watching all of the videos and seeing what everyone has been building, baking and creating.
For the “Diary of a…” assignment when you click into the instructions there should be a box in the top right corner that allows you to submit and unsubmit your work. Once your child hits submit and has completed their Diary entries for this week I will respond to their projects. If your child has completed it then I have already responded. They can also submit it so I can see it then unsubmit it and add more which will be what we will be working on next week.
For next week, I will send out an email Monday morning with the must do tasks and the optional tasks for the week. However, the tasks will be posted on Google Classroom Sunday afternoon for those who are busy working during the day and want to look over the work before the busy start up of your week.
Our google meets times will be the same each week Tuesday at 1:00 and Thursday at 4:00.It is the same link and password every time. Please get your child to attend at least one of the google meets they are welcome to attend both. The focus next week in our Google Meets will be answering questions about the Writing Project for the week and learning how to do a survey/ make a bar graph.
If your child is wanting some additional one on one time with me they are welcome to stay after the Google Meets and ask questions. You are also welcome to pop on and have a meeting with me after any of the google meets sessions if you have additional questions that I have not answered in an email.
I will keep the Google Meets sessions to approximately 30 minutes each time. So we are not going over the approximate one hour a day worth of school work and to ensure your child is not in front of a screen for too long. So please try to log on right at 1:00 and/or 4:00.
I well see those who want/ have not joined yet this week to join at 4:00 today on google meets. Enjoy the fun challenges.
Hope you all had a good Easter Weekend. Today is a Professional Development day so the kids do not have any assigned tasks for today. However, the assigned tasks are up on google classroom and I will try to have them up by Sunday afternoons moving forward.
This week there are 4 things they must do and optional tasks as well to try to help balance those who want more and those who are already feeling overwhelmed.
Must Do Tasks:
- Diary of A… (assignment in writing section of google classroom)
- Flipgrid take 2 (assignment in Flipgrid section of google classroom)
- Room Escape (assignment in Math section of google classroom)
- Google Meets (choose to attend one or both 1:00 Tuesday and 4:00 Thursday, we will be discussing our Diary of a… task and have time to share in authors chair if some have started the project and want some feedback)
**** If you are unable to complete the assignment during the school week completing them on the weekend is great too, I know we are all trying to find a balance. However, I will email you Friday to let you know if your child has not completed the above tasks just so you are aware that I did not get them… some last week had completed them just not uploaded to google classroom properly most have it figured out now! Yay!
Optional tasks: (for those wanting more)
- Literacy board
- Numeracy board
- Physical literacy board
- Will post a challenge on Thursday and Friday in the Fun Challenges section
Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill out the Survey Monkey. It helped us know we are on the right track with many of you and that we are all slowly learning the technology together and some have “tech geniuses as children!”
The results showed most of us are slowly getting the hang of things and finding a balance and that the vast majority of you are feeling supported and are getting the hang of things. It was great to read through the comments and feedback we appreciate your honestly, kind words and ways we can help you in the unprecedented time.
There were a few who wanted some worksheets here are some you can print out:
Spelling Worksheets Grade 3
Math Worksheets Grade 3
Reading Worksheets Grade 3
*** If you are unable to print please email me and I will get a package you can pick up.
I will also try to send fewer emails as there was one comment in the survey about email overload... probably definietly me I am just trying to keep you informed but completely understand the overwhelmed feeling.
Now that we are all mostly understanding the technology piece students should be able to know what is assigned VIA google classroom each week. My next group email will just to be to let you know the Thursday and Friday optional Fun Challenge is up.
HI Parents and Class,
Today's Optional Challenge:
Watch my video
Go to the link, watch the video
Create your own paper or actual decorated egg. See if you can use some of the patterns shown on the website.
Important information for next week:
1. I have responded to everyone's flipgrids and google classroom submissions. Please let me know if you are able to see my comments back. (flipgrid comment may be in their google mail accounts @educbe.ca)
2. I am also posting all of the big emails to the D2L blog if you can't find something I sent as a large email in your email go to the blog it is all there for you.
3. Next week I will do 2 Google Meets to check in. It is the same link and password as before. Students are welcome to do both or just one. It will just be to check in with everyone and for them to ask any questions.
- Meeting times:
a) Tuesday April 14 at 1:00pm
b) Thursday April 16th at 4:00pm
4. The main writing task, literacy board, numeracy board and physical literacy board will be posted live to google classroom around 4:00 on Sunday. I will also assign a flipgrid task on Tuesday that I expect everyone to do next week. I will also create optional fun challenges that will be posted throughout the week for those who want more work to do.
***I will be checking to see if everyone has handed in the Adjectives task, the Flipgrid video and the prodigy task. If your child has not completed one or any of the tasks I will email you specifically tomorrow. Otherwise assume it was handed in properly:)
I woud really appreciate it if you filled out the Survery Monkey I sent earlier just to help us with future planning. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G6FMFW9
Have a great Easter Weekend.
Hi Parents and Class,
Thank you for all of your hard work learning along with me these last two weeks. The grade 3 team created a short 5 question survey for you just as a check in to get feedback on how we can best support you and your families now that we have had two weeks of learning time.
If you could spend two minutes and complete the survey that would be wonderful. If you have longer feedback for me please just send me an email. Trying to adjust and learn together on this so please let me know what is working and what you need withing the governments guidelines of 1 hour of assigned work a day.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/G6FMFW9 (this is my first attempt ever at creating this so I hope it works) lol
Most students have handed in the assignments for this week and played prodigy for at least 10 questions. These are the things I am checking. If your child has not completed them by the end of the day I will send you an email to let you know that I have not recieved their work yet.
Must hand in:
1. Adjectives on google classroom (goal learn how to submit on google classroom)
2. Flipgrid- Submit a short video on flipgird about what you are reading (goal learn to use flipgrid and talk about books)
3. Play a minimum of 10 questions on Prodigy (Students will assume they are just playing like normal but the questions are specific to 3D shapes)
***The literacy, numeracy and physical literacy boards are there to keep the kids learning and engaged. You are welcome to send me pictures of what they are doing with them, I love seeing their projects but handing in this work is not a requirement.
*** I am also creating some fun challenges which are optional hand in tasks as well for those parents wanting more to keep their kids engaged. I will post another fun challenge today and email it to you when I finish it. The kids can also be independently checking the fun challenges on google clasroom.
***Our librarian is also doing Story Time videos which I am putting in our google classroom as well if your child wants to listen.
Have a great day! Will post my fun challenge for the day soon!
Thank you to everyone who tried out google meets with me today.
We had a couple of students who could not make it at 1:00. I plan to do a second trial tomorrow at 4:00 to say hi to another classmate that was unable to meet today. All students are welcome to join tomorrow at 4 too! Same google meets class code as today. There is also a link in the google classroom to access the meeting. (code: cottrellgrade3)
Now that we have learned how to use it I think moving forward I will assign smaller groups when needed to meet and discuss tasks and have a weekly check in meeting. We will see how it goes and modify to meet everyones learning needs as we continue to learn together and figure out what works for our class as we move forward.
Thank you everyone for all of your support so far and helping your children engage in our new online enviornment and making the best of it with me. I loved watching the flipgrid videos today. I sent feedback to each student who submitted so far. It apparently emails it to their @educbe email account. So please get them to check their google mail for my feedback on their flipgrid book shares.