Happy second week of school! Just a few important notes on what we have been doing and important upcoming information.
1) There is no school tomorrow it is a PD day
2) Student demographic forms were sent home yesterday
3) How to login to Raz Kids reading program sheets were sent home yesterday (Please read with your child for 10-15 minutes nightly. This program can be used as an app on devices as well. My teacher class code name is acottrell5 then your child finds their name and signs in using their password (cat).
4) Today information about the Student Learning Assessments for grade 3 were sent home (We will be starting the Math portion next week)
5) Meet the teacher conferences are September 19-20
6) Terry Fox Run is September 27th.
In class we have been working on getting comfortable logining in to the computers and using D2L to access specific websites. So far we have explored Raz Kids, some building sites, learning to type sites and today we tried some spelling games. To log in to D2L at home simply google search D2L CBE, click into the link it will prompt a username and password. The students username is their CBE student ID number which is on their report cards then they type in their password which is either 'cat' or 'Student1' depending on if they used google drive with their teacher last year. As I set the student up on google drive all of the passwords will be reset to meet the google drive requirements.
Next week students will be completing the math written and digital portions of the SLA assessments. The digital portion they are asked questions and answer them on the computer. Here is a link to practice questions. We will be completing the practice questions for the digital and written portions next week on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday and Thursday we will be completing the actual assessments. Here is a link where you can see some of the types of questions and exemplars:
In math this week students learned how to measure with a ruler and non-standard measurement. We also began to explore perimeter of the garden outside and how to make a blueprint of the garden.
In Language arts we have started literacy stations. Students rotate through the 9 stations in groups of 3. There are reading, writing, typing and spelling stations that the students complete when they are at the station. We also have Words Booklets that we will keep in our desks to help us learn how to spell.
In Art we looked at sketching techniques and how to really look at the object we are sketching and the different colours that are in the object.
In Science we explored building with a variety of materials by building objects with old lego kits and then writing about what we built and how we constructed it.
If you have any questions please send me an email.