Here is an explanation of the current report card marking scheme in terms that may help you understand the differences between the numbers. We have a large number of students achieving 2's in many areas of their academic growth. This should not be cause for worry. I have highlighted some of the key words to note.
Basic - 2
- shows an acceptable and foundational understanding of the concept.
- uses knowledge and skills taught to participate in common learning tasks.
- is successful in familiar learning situations.
Good - 3
- shows a detailed and strong understanding of the concept taught.
- uses knowledge and skills taught to participate in a variety of learning tasks.
- is successful in familiar and new learning situations.
Excellent - 4
- shows a thorough understanding of the concept and can make fine distinctions.
- uses knowledge and skills to participate in complex learning tasks.
- is successful in new, diverse, and unique learning situations.
Students receiving Not meeting - 1
- show limited understanding of the concepts taught.
- require support using the knowledge and skills taught in learning tasks.
- can be successful when they have practiced and/or have participated in similar learning situations before.
Please keep these things in mind as you review these upcoming report cards.
Things to think about when considering how your child is doing include work samples sent home this term:
- Dragon description writing
- Atlantic Region visual journal project
- Unit 1 Math test
- Mad Minute booklet
- Award-winning Book Talk project
- Winter book report
Also, when your child is completing the homework in Math or Language Arts, how independent are they with their work?
We have had an amazing first half of the school year. I can't believe the year is half over! There are a lot of exciting things happening as we continue on with Grade 5 including Genius Hour, a Science Centre field trip, short film projects, one more round with Cathy Beveridge, and much more!
Math homework due Monday:) Expect a next round of homework to arrive on Monday.
If you would like an at-home Basic Facts package for help practicing, please let me know by responding to this email.
Have a great weekend!