Class Updates – September 16th
We have made it to the end of our second week and our grade twos are continuing to build strong relationships with each other. We are so proud of the great work that is happening in our classroom.
Upcoming Important Dates:
· Conference booking opens today. Please make sure that you book a conference time for either Thursday September 19th or Friday September 20th
**If you are having difficulties in this, please let your classroom teacher know ASAP
· Thursday September 19th – Grade 2&5 Running Club at lunch
· Remember that there is no school on Friday Sept. 20st
· Library is Monday, please return books for Monday
· Terry Fox run – Friday September 27th
· Fun lunch Thursday the 19th - *a notice about these dates came home in your packet of forms last Thursday.
· Friday October 11th – Non –Instructional Day – No School
· Monday October 14th – Thanksgiving Monday – No School
This week we continued to learn about belonging in a variety of ways. We began with some writing around “What does it mean to belong?” and went further into “How can we show belonging at school?”.
In math, this week we worked on assessing students number sense and understanding of numbers to 30. In this work, we are working to identify student strengths and isolate any gaps in understanding. We are also working on mental math strategies for identifying and adding our friendly tens.
· Ask your child to play race to 30 with you. You will need a piece of paper and two dice.
In science, we have worked on the definitions of criterion and classification. With these terms, we explored the criteria of living and non-living things last week, and this week we will look at the different classifications of living things.
Our home reading program will be starting this week and we will be handing out your child’s first set of books at our conferences.
I look forward to meeting with all of our families this week,