Class Updates – September 23rd
Thank you to everyone who was able to come in and meet with me last Thursday and Friday, I really enjoyed having the chance to talk to each family and to share some of the things going on in the classroom. If you were unable to make it in and would like to still meet with me, please send me an email at LAWilson@cbe.ab.ca
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Library is Tuesday and Friday this week, please return books for one of these two days
- Home reading return on Monday, if you miss this day please return them as soon as possible so we can exchange these books for you
- Terry Fox run – Friday September 27th
- Terry Fox - Like Terry, we will to our best to forge ahead, regardless of weather conditions.
- opening assembly 11:15-11:45am.
- warm up from 11:45am-12:00pm,
- Run occurs from 12:00-12:30pm.
- Students will then return to their classes for regular dismissal at 12:50pm.
- Picture Day October 9th
- Friday October 11th – Non –Instructional Day – No School
- Monday October 14th – Thanksgiving Monday – No School
- Fun Lunch October 17th
- Friday November 1st – Non- Instructional Day – No School
We would like to do our first Chaparral walk on Friday October 4th and Friday October 18th weather permitting. More information about these walks will come home this week. If you have a current police security clearance and would like to accompany us on either or both days please let me know. We will need 4 parents to come with us on each day.
Last week we really enjoyed sharing our Me Bags with our classmates. We are looking at how many students are sharing similar items and will work to create some graphs showing our similarities through the week.
This week our Me Bag sharing will continue, and we will also be looking into the life of Terry Fox in preparation for our Terry Fox run on Friday. If you are able to donate a ‘Toonie for Terry” we would appreciate it.
This week we will continue to work on our understanding of repeating patterns, including what a core is, how to define the core, translating patterns, and extending patterns.
In mental math, we are working on articulating our thinking through math talks. We have been working with a great site called Splat Math by Steve Wyborney.
Please click on this link if you would like to download a few of these free PowerPoints to practices this at home. Each PowerPoint has instructions on the first slide on how to talk through this process with your child. Your child can also help to teach you how we do this in class. J
Last week we worked on the definitions of some of our key vocabulary for our Small Crawling and Flying Animals unit. Some of our words that we are exploring are: vertebrate, invertebrate, exoskeleton, insect, arachnid, habitat, cold-blooded, antennae, and spiracle. This week we will play some classification games, look at the criteria for insects and arachnids and do some beginning research into an invertebrate of our choice.
We talked as a class about how this is an expectation of grade two and that if we need to adjust or change the books taken home we can. Please try to schedule a regular time to read at home as this extra practice makes a huge difference in students’ overall ability and confidence in school.
Have a great week and I hope that you can join us for our Terry Fox run on Friday,