Class Updates – October 1st
Sorry for not sending you an email yesterday. I ended up in emergency with my very ‘adult’ 25 year old daughter yesterday who was not talking care of herself and ended up with a bad case of tonsillitis and an inner ear infection. Just goes to show that the parenting never stops. J
We are still looking for two volunteers for our walking field trip to Chaparral Lake. If you are able to volunteer and have a current Police Security Check please let me know ASAP @ LAWilson@cbe.ab.ca
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Library is Tuesday and Friday, please return books for one of these two days
- Home reading return on Monday, if you miss this day please return them as soon as possible so we can exchange these books for you
- Walking Trip to Chaparral Lake October 4th
- Picture Day October 9th
- Friday October 11th – Non –Instructional Day – No School
- Monday October 14th – Thanksgiving Monday – No School
- Fun Lunch October 17th
- Friday November 1st – Non- Instructional Day – No School
Terry Fox Update
Our class had a goal to collect $50 for the Terry Fox run last Friday, and I am very pleased to announce that we more than doubled that goal! Our class collected $112 to go towards cancer research. We are very happy and proud that we were able to raise this much money.
Thank you also to all of the parents who were able to come and support us in our run. It was a cold and blustery day, and we all showed the same commitment as Terry to 'run in any weather'!
We would like to do our first Chaparral walks on Friday October 4th and Friday October 18th weather permitting. More information about these walks can be found in a letter that is attached to this email. If you have a current police security clearance and would like to accompany us on either or both days please let me know. We will need 4 parents to come with us on each day.
We are learning about Orange Shirt Day this week and students are going to begin the conversation about “Who’s Voice Matters?” We will be exploring this question throughout the year in a variety of ways in connection with our work with 2SCHOOL. We will begin this topic by looking at how we think that school should feel for all students, and think of ways that we can make our school feel that way for all of the students at Chaparral School.
For our writing practice, we have been using a website called Pobble 365. To view it please click here. http://www.pobble365.com/
Students have been learning how to create a topic sentence by writing about ‘who’, ‘where, and ‘what. For example, I went to Cochrane this weekend to celebrate my mother-in-law’s 87th birthday. We practice using these three things to make our topic sentence every time we do our writing.
- At home practice – get your child to practice talking about every day events in this way. For example, we are going to the store to get some milk for dinner. Then you can get your child to practice writing one or two of these sentences down through the week to help them understand the pattern of a topic sentence.
Students are also learning how to add details to their topic sentences. We are practicing adding two or three important details to our first sentence to answer any questions that the reader may still have about our topic. This is also a great thing to practice at home with your child.
If you have any questions please email me @ LAWilson@cbe.ab.ca
Have a great week,