Class Updates – October 9th
Upcoming Important Dates:
- Friday October 11th – Non –Instructional Day – No School
- Monday October 14th – Thanksgiving Monday – No School
- Library will be Tuesday and Friday, please return books for one of these two days
- Home reading will be Tuesday next week, if you miss this day please return them as soon as possible so we can exchange these books for you
- Fun Lunch October 17th
- Walking Trip to Chaparral Lake October 18th
- Friday November 1st – Non- Instructional Day – No School
We have been comparing concrete patterns (patterns we create using manipulatives) with symbolic patterns (patterns written out on a page) in order to take the next developmental step in our conceptual understanding in identifying a pattern core, extending a pattern and translating patterns. Being able to identify patterns (repeating, increasing, and decreasing patterns in grade 2) helps to bring a sense of order to one’s world. Research shows that an understanding of pattern helps children to predict and hypothesize, which are essential skills when critical thinking.
We will be using google earth this week to look at how communities change and grow by zooming out from Chaparral to Calgary and some of the other communities within Calgary. We are looking to notice some similarities in terms of houses close together, schools, grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants and convenience stores.
On our community walk we noticed that our community had a lot of garbage cans, post boxes and bus stops. We also noticed that Chaparral has a lot of green spaces and parks. Over the next week we will talk about what values that we can see that residents of Calgary and Chaparral have based on the elements included in their communities.
If you have any questions please email me @ LAWilson@cbe.ab.ca
Have a great week,